Friday, March 21, 2008

Do What You Love or Love What You Do?

Regard to what my friend wrote about On Learning and Doing What You Love, I am triggered to write something about that. Certainly, it will be another point of view.

Off to the topic. I totally agree with point brought in the posting. Stop learning after college and looking for the best-offerings company have been the stereotype for majority of college student. Though, they do not know whether what they’re doing right now is what they love or not.

Ideally, they should love what they do. They should choose something they love since they will be fighting for it in the rest of their life. But, some of them, sometimes, have a situation, a condition that leaves them no option. Perhaps, some of them do realize that what they are doing right now is something they don’t love. But they must do it.

For the sake of clearness, allow me offer you an illustration. I am facing the choices of occupation. They are a lecturer and customer insight manager. I love being a lecturer. That is my dream. But, right now, I need money to afford things in life. My family needs my support. My little brother has not finished his college and my parents are running out of some cash right now. Being a lecturer would be a wrong choice at that time. Even though, I don’t love being a customer insight manager. For a matter of fact, it supplies me and my family more than enough. Eventually, the situation leaves me with no option, does it?

I do suggest you to do what you love. But, we can’t do that sometimes. Life is about choices. Let me take another example. Anne and Lucy were separated since their parents decided to divorce. Their parents’ divorce was triggered by his mother’s affair with another man. Anne, first, chose to go with daddy, and Lucy chose to go with mom. After ten years, Anne lives in wealthy and Lucy lives in a poor family. What do you think?

Lucy chose the wrong side? Do you think Lucy really wanted to choose to be with her mother? No. Anne picked her side first. It is to be with her father. Then, the situation made Lucy got no option. She couldn’t leave their mother alone. She had to choose her, although she didn’t like to.

What I am trying to say above is sometimes we could not do what we love; we could not get what we want, and so on. But, still, choices are right there for us to pick. Whatever the choices would be, we should choose something for our own good.

Fellow readers, like I said before, I totally agree with doing something I love rather than something I don’t. But let me complete it with my point of view as written up there. Conclusion, do what you love or love what you do! Whatever we do as long as it is good for us and anyone else, it will bring something in return. Since we were born to be great, weren’t we?

See you at the top!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

"What I am trying to say above is sometimes we could not do what we love; we could not get what we want, and so on."

Come on.. It's just your rationalization.

People can live well with any job or business they like. You may just hate the idea that you were not as wealthy nor stylish as the fancy young white collar executives at the start.

You can live well as a lecturer. You surely can afford things by being a lecturer. You just hate the idea that you may not be as wealthy as your colleagues.

None said...

Mmmm... I'd probably do for my best and learn to love it afterward.

Because sometimes what we want is not what we need to be fulfilled.
*imho, though..;)

Unknown said...

Hmm.. tough choice..

But it depends on your priority. I will put 'Do what you love' first instead of 'Love what you do' because the second means 'you do what you want whether you like it or not, then you try to like it or you pretend to like it' to me.

A very nice post from you.

Btw, kapan jadwal maen gbs ben? Kemaren ditunda gara2 ujan bukan?

Gli`AzzuRRo said...

@Gus: Truly speaking, the illustration is not taken from my life. Even though, it is a true story of a friend. Perhaps, in some ways, you are right.

But when we are talking about the family that really needs a help. Sometimes, it's more than a rationalization.

I guess it is debatable.. Anw, thanks for the opinion, Gus.

Gli`AzzuRRo said...

@Mitha: yap.. but it is in your hand. ha-ha.

GBS lagi tertunda lagi.. haha..just wait and see..

@Nadya: "Mmmm... I'd probably do for my best and learn to love it afterward."

yap.. right.. the only thing that we could do. he-he

Thanks for stopping by, btw.

Anonymous said...

if you measure greatness in financial terms, maybe in the short run you are right. after all, how do you think a lecturer could be financially free? they can't!

that is, if they solely depend on lecturing. but is that what a lecturer does 24/7? i don't think so. There are many possibilities if you open your mind a bit. And the good thing is, you get to enjoy the process. :) now, thats great.

watch steve jobs' 2005 stanford commencement speech and you will see how great people are where they are and how they did it. and believe me, they didn't get there by focusing on the short term.

good luck

diansubrata said...

cerita anne dan lucy..
sepertinya pernah baca di komik deh benn, hehe..

klo gw sih benn, gak masalah dgn 'Do what you love' ato 'Love what you do' asal yg gw lakuin itu emg berada di jalur menuju titik goal yg gw cita2kan.

"Since we were born to be great, weren’t we?"

sepakat benn, inilah point yg gak perlu didebatin, karena definisi great buat tiap org pasti beda..

*maap gak pake bhs inggris kya yg laen..haha..*

aldud said...

QED rocks ya nopita? hahhaa

buat gw sekarang sih, i dont know what i love yet. Because of that, i just trying to love what i do and do my best. Maybe someday, eventually i'll find something that i love and stuck in there for good. hahaha.

keren ben tulisannya suka gw (ama tulisannya)

sidhikara said...

unfortunately, we dont always get what we love, considering all the constraints existence. But somehow, i agree that we can love what we do. if we dont, n we stuck on it, find some significant reason why we HAVE TO love it.

sadly, sometimes, we have no choice but to accept. and we're gonna love it because we will definitely get something from it. a lesson.

nice writings, ooomm!

Gli`AzzuRRo said...

arlo: yeah.. the point is just when we are talking something bout inconsiderable option, we cant pick what we want or love. short term and long term? I guess you might be right.

dian: its ok di..glad to have you here

aldud:yepp.. its taken from QED?is it plagiarism? it better not. ha-ha
ah dud lo suka ama g beneran kaleee...??!!

dhika: really happy.. i found someone on my side.. thanks dik..

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

ah sebel, comment gw yg pertama keapus.

First of all, gila foto lo heboh amat om! Haha..

Well,most of the times we're left with choices that we don't really fit. But, as a friend said, NEVER BLAME ON THE CONDITION GIVEN, it's just useless ain't it? Cause in the end, choices are just choices,, and we have to live with that. It's up to us whether to let ourselves get stucked, or to manipulate the constraints to, again, ENJOY LIFE.

Hehe, what the hell?

I like your writing anyway..

Yessi Pratiwi Surya Budhi said...

Haha! Bisa duaduanya lagi.

Gw sih mikir, kalau ikhlas aja ngejalanin semua, hati bahagia gak kepaksa, semua akan baik2 saja.

Yang Itu, love what you do dan do what you love kan, Ben? :)

Unknown said...

Nice, if u can't do what you love, u have to love what you do.. betul tah?

Jangan bingung Ben, jalanin aja yang udah ada di depan sana, ikutin kata hati itu yang pertama. Karena saat loe menenetukan suatu pilihan dengan kata hati, loe ga akan menyesal dengan keputusan yang loe buat.

Btw, ttg s Anne and Lucy,
God knows and gives us what we need, not what we want. He has His own way. Just sometimes, His way is not ours. Believe that if He brings us to it, He'll bring us through it.

Mungkin ada cerita tambahannya, apa yang terjadi sama kehidupan Lucy and her mom ke depannya? Maybe not that bad as we could think of. Setiap perjalanan hidup yang kita lalui, pasti punya makna baik tersendiri.

Goodluck Ben!